smoked streaky bacon, in the piece with the rind removed
baby carrots, halved
( golf ball sized)
tiny onions, quartered
green beans, cut int 3 cm pieces
( frozen is fine)
( or other green, loose leaf cabbage)
freshly ground black pepper
- Put the bacon, carrot, turnip and onion in a large pan,and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, and then simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
- Raise the heat to boiling, then add the beans and peas.
- After 5 minutes, add the cabbage and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Lift out the bacon, and cut into small pieces and return to the pot.
- Taste for salt-I don't think you'll need to add any-and season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Serve with good crusty bread.