red wine, good
salt and pepper
- Peel the onions, top and tail them. Cut them in half, then cut each half into very thin slices or just chop them.
- Put the oil and the onions into a pot, and cook the onions over a low heat until they are transparent.
- When the onions are transparent and tender, add the wine, still over low heat. Add some salt to bring out the flavor, and a little pepper.
- Add the sugar, stirring to blend it.
- Cook this down until the wine is totally cooked away, always over low heat. The consistency should be like a jam, because you will spread this on toasts for the foie gras, and you don't want it to be drippy.
- This shouldn't be too sweet, because it is for meat, but you can up the dose of sugar a little if you want.
- You can add some sultanas and a few cloves while you cook the liquid down to vary the recipe.