1 1/2 cups
1/4 teaspoon cardamom or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon
( plus additional butter, oil, or shortening for greasing the pan)
- Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and buttermilk together.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to liquid mixture.
- Add the melted butter and mix together until smooth.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Fill pan cups about 1/4 full of oil and heat.
- Fill pan cups with batter. If you are adding jam, jelly, or applesauce to the middle add it now, only about a 1/4 teaspoons
- Bake until the edges are bubbly.
- Turn (using a fork, knitting needle, or toothpick) and continue turning until evenly browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.