( fresh or frozen)
12 shallots or 1 small
- Remove outer leaves from lettuce. Cut off stem; cut lettuce head into quarters. Loosely tie lettuce quarters together with kitchen string; place in a large saucepan.
- Add peas and shallots or onions.
- Tie parsley sprigs together; place on top.
- Dot with butter. Add water; sprinkle salt and sugar over top.
- Cover and bring slowly to a boil. Stir carefully; cover and simmer 30 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- Remove parsley; remove string from lettuce. Serve as an accompaniment to roasted meats.