red cabbage, halved and cored
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees (175C degrees).
- Shred cabbage.
- Heat butter in a 2-quart oven-proof casserole with lid. Stir in onion. Saute until soft but not browned.
- Add sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar caramelizes.
- Add shredded cabbage and vinegar; stir thoroughly. Add red wine, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and bake 45 to 55 minutes until cabbage is very tender, stirring once or twice.
- Remove lid toward end of cooking time if cabbage is very moist.
- Taste for seasoning, adding a little more sugar or vinegar if necessary.
- Serve hot.