boneless skinless chicken breasts
boneless skinless chicken thighs
lemon, juice and zest of
salt and pepper
plum tomatoes, stemmed
garlic cloves, minced
red pepper flakes
roasted red pepper, drained
- Pull off the long, slender tender that lies along the underside of the breast. Set aside for another use.
- Flatten out the thickest part of the breast with a mallet. Cut each half into wide lengthwise ribbons for easy threading on skewers.
- Cut the thighs into large chunks.
- Marinate the chicken in the lemon zest and juice for 30 minutes; drain and rub lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and sugar in a microwave-safe dish in one layer. Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Turn the tomatoes over, lifting off the skin and removing any visible clumps of seeds or white pulp. If any liquid remains, cook for another 3 minutes on high.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a food processor and add the rest of the marmalade ingredients, pulse to make a thick, fluid sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Thread the flat chicken breast strips, ribbon candy fashion, onto water-soaked wooden skewers. Thread the thigh meat securely.
- Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes.
- Warm the tomato marmalade slightly and place the kabobs over a splash of it on the plate. Serve additional marmalade separately.