2 1/2 tablespoons
chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
egg yolks, room temperature
unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
semisweet chocolate, melted
- For Pastry.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add yolk and mix until dough just holds together.
- Flatten into a disc.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
- Butter a 8 or 9 inch cake pan.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into circle 1/8 inch thick.
- Fit into pan; trim and form edges.
- Prick shell and freeze until firm(or up to 1 month).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line shell with buttered parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake 15 minutes;reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and weights and continue baking until brown, about 8 minutes.
- For Creme.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in bowl set over simmering water(water should not touch bottom of bowl).
- Add cream, sour cream and vanilla and continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until very thick, 30 to 35 minutes; do not boil or creme will curdle.
- Remove bowl from over water and whisk in butter. Cool 20 minutes.
- To Assemble.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread melted chocolate over crust; cover with berries.
- Top with creme, smoothing surface with spatula.
- Sift brown sugar over entire top.
- Broil until sugar carmelizes, watching carefully to prevent burning.
- Let cool;refrigerate.
- Serve tart well chilled.