1 1/2 teaspoons
1 cup shortening or 1 cup
( the colder the better!)
- Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water a little at a time, tossing with a fork to make a pastry-like dough.
- Add a bit more water if it seems dry and won't hold together when squeezed lightly.
- Gather into a ball, press firmly now, then wrap with plastic wrap and chill while preparing the pasty ingredients (see Recipe # ).
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface (or on top of a piece of plastic wrap which can easily be folded over and then peeled off once the pasty ingredients are loaded).
- Edges of pasty should be brushed with a smidgen of water and then crimped VERY firmly with a fork (and I fold them and crimp again -- so none of the liquid seeps out).
- Brush tops of finished pasties with milk to enhance the crust (it will bake to a beautiful golden brown).
- NOTE: Like pastry dough, pasty dough should be handled as LITTLE as possible to ensure flakiness. So, *handle with care* !