granulated sugar, plus extra for coating dish
cream of tartar
- Adjust a shelf in your oven to one of the lower positions. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a 6 cup souffle dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add a tbsp or so of sugar to the dish, shaking to coat sides and bottom evenly; tap out excess.
- Place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a medium-size bowl.
- Zest 2 tsp of the peel from the tangerines. Juice all of the fruit for 3/4 cup.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, then gradually whisk in juice and bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes; remove from heat. Beat egg yolks in a large bowl until light in color, about 3 minutes. Beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Whisk in tangerine zest and a spoonful of the thickened juice. Stir in remaining thickened juice from saucepan.
- With clean beaters, beat whites until foamy. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold half of the whites into the yolk mixture just until combined, then fold in remaining whites. Scrape into prepared dish.
- Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes, or until souffle is puffed and browned (do not open oven door). Dust top with confectioners’ sugar and serve.