2/3 cup lard or 2/3 cup
vegetable shortening, softened
lemon peel, grated
confectioners' sugar, Sifted
( for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, beat together the lard and butter.
- Incorporate the sugar, egg yolk and lemon peel into the lard/butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cinnamon and flour; work into the lard mixture with your hands to form a smooth dough.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough 1/4 inch thick and cut with a 3-inch scalloped cookie cutter (or other shape).
- Arrange cookies on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool briefly on the cookie sheet as they are delicate when warm.
- When cool, coat with confectioner's sugar.