( 1 lb)
( 5 tbsp)
( 3 oz)
fresh yeast, dissolved in
( 1 oz.)
( 1/2 cup)
egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
egg white, beaten to stiff peaks
orange flower water
candied fruit, in large pieces
( or a silver coin)
- Place the flour and salt into a large bowl; make a well in the centre and pour in the dissolved yeast; gradually mix in the flour; when the mixture is thick, sprinkle all over with flour and let rest for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Mix the zests, brandy, orange flower water and the two eggs into the dough; knead until it becomes smooth, gradually mix in the butter, kneading constantly, until the dough becomes even smoother and more elastic;
- cover with greased paper and let rise in a warm place for about 90 minutes, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Place the dough on a floured surface, knead for 2 to 3 minutes; add in the silver coin or bean.
- With your hands, roll the dough into a long sausage-shape, approximately 65 cm (2 feet) long and 13 cm (5") thick.
- Place on a baking sheet, forming the dough into a circle; join the two ends by pinching the dough together.
- Cover with greased paper and let rest another 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled in volume; brush the crown with the beaten egg white, decorate with the almonds and slices of candied fruit, pressing them down so that they stick to the dough.
- Place into a 180° C (350° F) oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the bread is cooked and golden.
- Place on a rack and let cool.