hot Italian sausage, casings removed
crushed tomatoes, Sclafani quick crushed preferred
kalamata olive, drained and pitted and coarsely chopped
( the kind in olive oil)
basil, coarsely chopped
rigatoni pasta, I get gigantoni when I can find it
mozzarella cheese, grated
parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to directions, making sure to keep it al dente. Drain and place back in cooking pot. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in skillet cook sausage and onions until sausage is done (crumble sausage as it cooks). Drain well and set aside.
- In same skillet add olive oil and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Return sausage and onion to pan with garlic.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Stir well. Cook at a high simmer. Add olives. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in basil.
- Pour tomato sauce over pasta and toss to coat well.
- Place layer of 1/3 of pasta in bottom of Pam sprayed casserole. Top with 1/2 of mozzarella. Top with another third of pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella. Repeat with final layer of pasta. Cover with foil.
- Cook in oven for thirty minutes.
- Remove foil and top with parmesan. Cook an additional 15-25 minutes. (We like it crunchy on top so cook the full 25 minutes. Cook it how you like it.).