( 4 cups)
lemon rind, grated
egg, well beaten with
salt, for egg washing top of pie
sugar, for top of pie
individual pie crusts
- Combine 1 cup berries with 3/4 cup sugar in pan.
- Simmer on low heat until sugar is melted and mixture is very liquid; about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water in bowl.
- Add to pan with blueberries.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to full boil and is clear and thick.
- Pour hot mixture into large bowl.Cool until warm.
- Fold in remaining 3 cups of blueberries, lemon rind, cinnamon,nutmeg and butter.
- Let cool before adding to pie crust.
- Add top crust and brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400°F but reduce heat to 375°F when you put pie in oven. Bake about 40 minutes. Check pie halfway through baking; cover edges with a strip of foil if edges are getting too brown.
- This technique works for any delicate fruit such as raspberries or strawberries.