Italian sausage, casings removed
( mild or hot)
garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 ounce) cans
2 (6 ounce) cans
2 (15 ounce) cans
( for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don't want to simmer it as long, add less)
dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons
crushed red pepper flakes
fresh coarse ground black pepper
( a good Cabernet!)
- In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
- Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- Stir in red wine.
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn!
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.