( about 4 cups total)
leeks, well washed and chopped
( about 2½ cups total)
celery ribs, chopped
parsnip, well washed and chopped
celery root, peeled and diced
3 1/2 quarts
( stems and leaves)
- Saute the chopped onions in a skillet until they are all brown and almost black.
- Although you may vary the vegetable ingredients to taste, I strongly recommend that you do not omit the browned onions or the parsnip.
- In a crockpot, combine vegetables and water.
- Bring to a simmer, skimming foam from surface.
- Add parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- Cook on low for about 3 hours and check it periodically, adding more water as necessary to keep ingredients covered.
- Taste the stock and continue cooking, if desired the longer it cooks, the stronger the flavour will be.
- Strain stock through a fine sieve.
- Stock keeps 3 days in the refrigerator or 1 month if frozen.