1/2 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup pomegranate juice or 1/2 cup
garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press
salt, to taste
2 1/2 lbs
boneless lean sirloin steaks, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
onions, cut into wedges
green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into wedges
red kale leaf
lemons, cut into wedges
long zucchini, cut into six 1 inch thick slices
- In a large glass bowl, combine the wine, garlic, grated onion, peppercorns, ans salt, then add the meat and toss to coat well. Refrigerate, covered, for 6 to 8 hours, turning the meat occasionally. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
- Prepare a charcoal grill for grilling. Coals must be coated with white ash before starting the grilling of the meat. Or preheat the broiler.
- Toss the onion and pepper wedges in a bowl with the oil.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and string it on long metal skewers, alternating meat cubes with onion and pepper wedges and pushing everything closely together.
- Grill (or broil) the skewers 4 inches above the coals, turning frequently and sprinkling with the marinade every 3 minutes. Cook 9 to 10 minutes for medium rare, 12 to 13 minutes for medium.
- To Serve:.
- Line two serving platters with the radicchio leaves or the red kale. Cut into the tomatoes as though you were going to cut them into quarters, but leave them intact at the stems. Place one tomato in the middle of each platter. Scatter lemon wedges and scallions on the platters. Stick the sharp end of each skewer into a zucchini slice. Place three skewers on each platter and bring the open ends together to form a tripod. Wrap the ends with a napkin to hold them together. Serve at once.