1 1/2 cups
pumpkin puree, fresh, canned
light brown sugar, packed
eggs, lightly beaten
unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons
pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk to just below boiling, bubbles will form allover the surface (scalded milk is heated to 180 to 185).
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with a wire whisk. Add pumpkin, brown sugar, butter, spice, and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Evenly divide pumpkin mixture among 12 6oz custard cups. Place cups in 2 9x13" baking pans. Place pans on oven rack and add hot tap water to the pans until the water is halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Check after 35 minutes. Custard centers should be slightly wobbly. Remove custard from oven and allow to cool in water bath. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Just before serving,preheat oven broiler. Sprinkle 2 teaspoon sugar on each custard. Arrange on a baking sheet and place under hot broiler. Broil until sugar melts and bubbles. Watch closely to prevent burning. Sugar should be lightly brown and caramelized. Or hold a propane kitchen torch about 2" from custard tops to caramelize sugar. Serve at once. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.