eggs, separate out yolks
1 (10 ounce) packages
cream of tartar
- Cream egg yolks, butter, flour, sugar, salt and flavoring well over very low heat on the stovetop. Gradually add milk. Cook at medium temperature on stove until "thick enough". Stir frequently.
- Make layer of bananas and wafers in bottom and up sides of an oven proof bowl or dish. Pour half of thickened pudding mixture over this.
- Make a second layer of bananas and wafers. Pour remaining pudding over this.
- Whisk 2 egg whites at high speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until peaks form. Spread on top of pudding mixture making peaks. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.