3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3 lbs
boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 -3 lbs
onion, peeled and diced
bell peppers, diced
regular uncooked rice
low-fat chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh ground pepper
1 (10 ounce) packages
frozen baby peas, unthawed
1 (15 ounce) jars
artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1 (8 ounce) jars
sliced pimientos, drained
shrimp, peeled and deveined
fish, cut into bite-sized pieces
( any kind of white fish)
- Cut the chicken pieces and the pork into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven over medium high heat and brown chicken and pork in small batches; remove from kettle and set aside.
- Add onions, tomatoes, and bell pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is tender but not browned.
- Take about a cup of broth , put it in a small sauce pan, add the Mexican saffron and bring to a boil to release the saffron's goodness and color.
- Place this and the rest of the liquid in the kettle, stir in the rice,add the spices,the chicken and pork and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in peas.
- If you wish to add the shrimp and fish, stir that in at this point.
- Cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Then carefully stir in artichoke hearts.
- Serve on a large platter and garnish with the pimentos.