onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup vegetable broth or 1/2 cup
1/3 cup sherry wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons
white wine vinegar
1 (15 ounce) cans
cannellini, drained and rinsed
( white kidney beans)
salt and pepper
vegetables, for dipping
- In a wide frying pan, combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the broth.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until liquid evaporates and onion begins to brown.
- To deglaze, add vinegar to pan and stir to loosen the browned bits.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to brown again.
- Repeat 1 or 2 more times using 2 more tablespoons broth each time; vegetables should be deeply browned.
- Add beans to onion mixture and mash coarsely with a spoon.
- If necessary, add a little more broth to give the beans a mashed potato consistency.
- Season with S&P to taste.
- Serve Pâté warm or cool with vegetables dippers.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.