1 3/4 kg
finely minced garlic
extra virgin olive oil
canned chopped tomatoes
( 1 3/4 cups)
( or cream cheese if unavailable)
fresh basil, chopped
salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin with a large sharp knife and scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Using a small sharp knife and a tablespoon, cut and scrape out as much of the flesh from the shell as possible, then chop the flesh into rough chunks.
- Bake the pumpkin with its lid on for 45 minutes to 1 hour until inside begins to soften.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Gently fry onion, garlic and pumpkin flesh in olive oil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced courgette and the mushrooms and cook for a further 3 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes, pasta shells and stock. Season well, bring to the boil, then cover the pasta and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Stir the fromage frais and basil into the pasta and spoon the mixture into the pumpkin. (It may not be possible to fit all the filling into the pumpkin shell so serve the rest separately if necessary).