For the sponge
butter, very soft
( must be at room temperature)
For the filling
sifted icing sugar
- You will need 2 8-inch sponge tins, lightly greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3/325F/170°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Add all the other 'sponge' ingredients to the bowl and whisk everything together until you have a smooth, well-combined mixture which will take about a minute.
- The mixture should drop easily off a spoon when you give it a tap (if it seems a little too stiff, add 1 tablespoon of water and mix again).
- Now divide the mixture between the 2 prepared tins and level it.
- Place on the centre shelf of the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes (DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR for the 1st 30 minutes).
- To test if they are cooked, touch the centre lightly with your finger - if it leaves no impression and springs back, the cake is cooked.
- Remove them from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning them out on to a wire rack.
- Carefully peel off the base papers and leave the sponges to get completely cold.
- For the filling, beat the double cream till soft peak.
- Now on the base layer, first spread half of the jam then spread half of the double cream and then scatter the raspberries all over.
- Spread the remaining cream and drizzle the rest of the jam.
- Place the second layer on top, press very lightly to sandwich everything together.
- Lightly dust the top of the cake with icing sugar before serving.