rice, cooked and cooled
( brown or white)
garlic cloves, chopped
jalapeno chile, chopped
( ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
coarse salt and pepper
( to taste)
3 (15 ounce) cans
pinto beans, drained and rinsed
scallions, thinly sliced
monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring occasionally until golden, 10-12 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beans and 1-1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer stirring occasionally until thickened, 10-12 minutes.
- Add corn; cook to heat through, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions.
- Fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese (assembly instructions below).
- Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream, if using, or freeze-wrap-freeze (see above) up to 3 months. (Reheating instructions below).
- To Assemble:.
- Mound 1/4 cup rice, 3/4 cup bean mixture, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of tortilla, leaving about 1/2 inch between filling and edge of tortilla. Fold sides in and hold.
- Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle.
- Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.
- Reheating From Frozen:.
- Microwave and oven: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees until crispy, about 10 minutes. This is our favorite quick method.
- Microwave only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate, covered with a microwave-safe bowl, and defrost at high power for 3-4 minutes; uncover, and microwave on high 3-4 minutes longer.
- Oven only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap; rewrap individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 450 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake to crisp, 5-10 minutes. (To reheat defrosted burritos, remove any wrapping and bake for 10 minutes.).