1 1/2 cups
whole wheat flour
( King Arthur Traditional or King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat flour)
quick-cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup dry buttermilk or 1/4 cup
nonfat dry milk powder
( fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup pecans (optional) or 1/2 cup
( finely grated orange peel)
( or 4 egg whites)
1/3 cup vegetable oil or 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Whisk together the orange zest, eggs, milk, and oil or melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended; don't beat or your muffins will be tough!
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups or paper liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, until they're golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, leave them in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
- In a small saucepan or the microwave, stir together the glaze ingredients. Bring just to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Dip the tops of the warm muffins into the glaze.
- NOTES: For a sweeter muffin, substitute 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries.