double crust pie crust
( halved or thickly sliced)
rhubarb, cut into 3/8 to 1/2 inch pieces
4 1/2 tablespoons
unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons
sugar, to dust top
- Prepare your favorite pie crust or use store-bought. Either way, they should be good and cold. Roll out the bottom crust and place in pie pan.
- Clean and slice the rhubarb and strawberries and place in a large bowl.
- Cover the fruit with the sugar, flour, zest and salt. Toss lightly as you would were this a salad.
- Place the mixture into the pie pan. Dot the pie with the butter slices. Cover with top crust, crimping the tops and bottoms so that the pie is well sealed.
- Chill the pie in the freezer briefly, about 20 minutes. Cut vent slits on the top crust and dust the top with the sugar.
- While the pie is chilling pre-heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet with a lip to catch drippings. For easy clean up line the sheet with foil. Bake the pie for 10 minutes or until the top crust appears dry and lightly blistered.
- Reduce the cooking heat to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 30-40 minutes. The exact time varies from one oven to another. Pie crust should be golden and flaky.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- Storage suggestion: Bubby's suggest that the pie should be stored uncovered for up to 2 days so that the crust can remain crisp.