bacon, cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces
( about 3 slices)
extra virgin olive oil
yellow onions, thinly sliced
( medium-small to yield about 2 cups)
fresh thyme, minced
fresh ground black pepper
parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Pour off any fat from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are limp and golden brown, 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the peas and thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer to a small bowl.
- Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel, and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the gnocchi and cook, tossing occasionally, until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in the onion mixture, bacon, and Parmigiano, along with enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten and coat the gnocchi, about 4 tablespoons.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmigiano.