cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
parmesan cheese, grated
turkey slices, thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler.
- Chop onion.
- In a heavy saucepan heat butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and cook onion about 3 minutes, or until glassy.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Add cheese and remove pan from heat.
- Whisk sauce until cheeses are melted.
- Thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden and any liquid given off by mushrooms is evaporated.
- Season mushrooms with salt.
- In each of 4 ovenproof individual serving dishes top 1 slice of toast with 2 slices turkey or chicken.
- Diagonally halve remaining slices of toast and "bracket" each sandwich with 2 halves.
- Ladle cheese sauce over sandwiches and broil 4 to 5-inches from heat until sauce begins to bubble and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Crumble bacon.
- Top each sandwich with bacon and mushrooms.
- Serve sandwiches immediately.