4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons
garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-in rounds
2 -3 teaspoons
fresh ground black pepper
8 cups organic low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups
low sodium vegetable broth
heavy whipping cream
1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup
fresh dill, chopped
fresh tarragon, chopped
- Melt butter or margarine in a 5 qt large pot over medium high heat; add onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent, 5-7 mins
- Add garlic, carrots, bay leaf, rice, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and chicken or vegetable broth.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and purée soup in batches in a blender.
- Return soup to pot and set over low heat.
- Add whipping cream and 2 cups water (if soup looks too thick, add a little more water) and cook until warmed through.
- Season to taste with additional salt.
- Serve soup hot, with crème fraîche or sour cream, dill, and tarragon.