onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, crushed
3 (410 g) cans
soft brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook until very soft and lightly golden, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato paste and sugar to the pan. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat.
- Simmer the soup, partially covered with a lid, for 20 minutes. Allow the soup to cool a little, then process it in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in the cream and reheat gently. Don't let the soup boil once you have added the cream, or it will curdle.
- Serve heated, garnished with chopped spring onions.