dried navy beans, soaked over-night
( dried white haricot beans)
small macaroni noodles
garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons
1 3/4 liters chicken stock or 1 3/4 liters
salt & freshly ground black pepper
grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion with the crushed garlic for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and basil and stir in for another minute.
- Drain the beans and add them into the saucepan alongwith the stock and bring the soup up to simmering point and then cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or half hour more till the beans are cooked and tender.
- After the beans have been cooked, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and give it a good stir.
- Pour half the soup in a liquidiser and blend it.
- Return the pureed half back into the pan with the remaining soup and bring it to simmering point.
- Add in the macaroni and simmer for a further 12 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese sprinkled over.