4 (6 ounce) cod or 4 (6 ounce)
cornstarch, to coat
green onions, finely sliced
dried Chinese mushrooms
3 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons
1 cup water or 1 cup
- Put dried mushrooms for the sauce in a bowl of boiling water and let soak 30 minutes.
- Peel and slice ginger, then cut in very fine matchsticks.
- To make the sauce, drain and finely slice the mushrooms, discarding the stems.
- Mix the cornstarch and vinegar together to make a slurry, place in a small saucepan with the sugar, ketchup, salt, soy sauce, sherry, water or stock and mushrooms.
- Rinse the bean sprouts and shake dry.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan , add the ginger and fry 1 minute, stirring then lift out with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce.
- Fry the bean sprouts in the pan 30 seconds, then divide on four warmed dinner plates.
- Coat fish fillets lightly with cornstarch.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry fish for around 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Place on the bean sprouts and spoon the hot sauce over, scatter with green onions and serve with rice or noodles.