1 cup whole milk or 1 cup
fresh ground black pepper
grated sharp cheddar cheese
grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
green onions, tops-too, chopped
1 (1 lb) bag frozen hash browns or 8
frozen hash brown patties, thawed
1 (10 ounce) boxes
frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, pepper, and nutmeg until combined; whisk in Cheddar and 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Heat oil in a well-seasoned 10” cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté green onions, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add hash browns and remaining and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Spread potatoes evenly in skillet and cook, undisturbed, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spread broccoli over potatoes; pour in egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake until set--2” from edge but still slightly wobbly in center, about 12-15 minutes. Turn on broiler.
- Broil 4” from heat until top is set, puffed, and golden brown.
- Note: If using chopped ham (1 1/3 cups), add as layer between potatoes and broccoli.