graham keebler ready pie crust
( or the shortbread pie crust)
1 (14 ounce)
sweetened condensed milk
fresh lemon juice
fresh grated lemon peel
yellow food coloring
cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl beat egg yolks well.
- Stir in condensed milk,lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired. This will thicken.
- Pour mixture in pie crust and bake 30 minute at 325°F.
- Preparing the meringue.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tarter in a large bowl with a electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, turning up mixer on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Turn oven up to 350°F.
- Spread meringue on top of hot pie filling all over the entire pie.
- Put in oven and bake another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of oven and cool on stove or counter top for at least 1 hour.
- Place in refrigerator and chill at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.