( the type used for ice cream sundaes)
1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes
white cake mix
3 1/2 ounces
vanilla instant pudding mix
( or substitute another flavoring)
unsalted butter, at room temperature
confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 -4 tablespoons
pure vanilla extract
( or other extract)
sweetened flaked coconut
green food coloring
( this is approximate)
red licorice, each 9 1/2 inches long
( strawberry-flavored Twizzlers, for example)
- MAKE CUPCAKES: Place rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut ten 8-inch squares of aluminum foil. Place each waffle bowl in center of each foil square. Wrap the outside of of the bowl with the foil, tucking the edges of the foil just inside the top of the bowl. Place bowls on baking sheet and set aside.
- In large bowl, add cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, eggs, egg whites, and coconut flavoring (if using).
- Blend 30 seconds with electric mixer on low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat 2 more minutes on medium speed, scraping sides if needed.
- Fill each waffle bowl with a heaping 1/2 cup batter.
- Bake the cupcakes approximately 24-27 minutes, or until they are lightly golden and spring back when lightly pressed with finger.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently peel off aluminum foil. Allow the bowls to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- MAKE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: In large mixing bowl, add butter and mix with electric mixer on low speed until fluffy (about 30 seconds).
- Add confectioners' sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla. Blend on low speed until sugar is incorporated (about 1 minute). Beat 1 minute more on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add up to 1 tablespoon milk if the frosting seems too stiff.
- Note: If you want a slightly lighter color of frosting, beat the butter several extra minutes with the electric mixer before adding sugar. You can also flavor the buttercream frosting with other extracts in place of the vanilla extract. Use almond extract for almond buttercream, coconut flavoring for coconut buttercream, etc.
- MAKE BASKETS: Place the coconut in a plastic bag. Add 2 drops of green food coloring. Seal the bag and shake well until the coconut turns green.
- Add more food coloring if needed.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Place 2 heaping tablespoons of frosting on each cupcake and spread it out smoothly with a short metal spatula or spoon, until the tops are completely covered.
- Sprinkle on coconut to resemble grass. Place a pile of jelly beans on the coconut to resemble eggs.
- Create a basket handle by inserting one end of a licorice or Twizzler stick in one side of the cupcake near the edge. Bend the Twizzler over the cupcake and insert the other end in the opposite side of the cupcake.