unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups
chocolate-sour cream frosting (see recipe below)
semisweet chocolate pieces
1 (8 ounce) cartons
sifted powdered sugar
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease bottoms of two 8x8x2-inch square or 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans.
- Line bottom of pans with waxed paper.
- Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans (or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan) and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder; and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3 to 4 minutes).
- Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total).
- Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition.
- Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch pans and the 13x9x2-inch pan, 30 to 35 minutes for 9-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans.
- Peel off waxed paper and cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Or place 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.
- CHOCOLATE-SOUR CREAM FROSTING:.
- In a large saucepan melt 1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup butter over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream. Gradually add 4-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound), beating with an electric mixer until smooth.
- This frosts tops and sides of two or three 8- or 9-inch cake layers (halve the recipe to frost the top of a 13x9x2-inch cake).
- Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator.