2 1/3 cups
strong coffee, cooled
hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips or 1/2 cup
white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In separate bowl, stir together coffee, milk, egg, egg white and vanilla extract.
- Add coffee mixture to flour mixture.
- Stir by hand just until dough is soft.
- Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- With floured hands, shape into two 8" logs.
- Place logs 2" to 3" apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray and flatten each into a rectangle about 3" wide.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and firm.
- Transfer logs to rack to cool 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 275°F.
- Place logs on cutting board, trim ends and cut each log diagonally into ½" to ¾" slices using a serrated knife.
- Place slices cut side down on baking sheet.
- Return to oven, and bake 20 minutes.
- Flip cookies over, and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
- Variation: For a shiny finish, brush the tops of the dough logs before baking with a glaze made with 1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water.