1 1/2 cups
1 (1/4 ounce) package
active dry yeast
7 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine milk, shortening, sugar and salt.
- Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water, stir to dissolve.
- Add yeast, 3 eggs and 2 cups of flour to milk mixture.
- Beat with mixer on medium until smooth, about 2 minutes, occasionally scraping the bowl. Alternatively beat by hand with spoon until batter is smooth.
- Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out on to floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put dough in lightly greased bowl, turn to grease both sides.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each into 12" (30cm) strips.
- Braid 3 strips together to form a loaf, continuing with remaining 3 strips for second loaf, place on separate greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush loaves with a glaze using 1 beaten egg and 1 tblsp of water.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from baking sheets; cooling on racks.