4 1/2 teaspoons
cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
- Cut in shortening/butter with pastry blender or two knives until it resembles a coarse meal. (Or you can just rub it in with your fingers).
- Combine egg and milk.
- Add this to the flour mix all at once, stirring with fork just enough to make a soft dough that sticks together.
- Knead lightly on lightly floured surface 15 times.
- Roll out to 1" (2.5cm) thickness.
- Cut with floured 2" (5cm) cutter and place 1" (2.5cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.