1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
eggs, room temperature
unsalted butter, melted
pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups
confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tablespoons
finely grated lime zest
freshly squeezed lime juice
green food coloring
ripe strawberries, hulled
green sugar candy sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes.
- While beating, gradually pour in the butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared tin.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Cool on the rack completely.
- For icing: Mix the confectioners' sugar and lime zest in a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice and mix with an electric mixer to make a firm but pourable icing. (If needed, add up to 1 teaspoon more juice, but take care if the icing is too loose it doesn't set properly.)
- Add food color to make a pale pastel green icing.
- To assemble: Remove cupcake from its liner.
- Cut and remove a strawberry (coned) shaped portion of cupcake from the top of each cupcake, leaving about 1/2 to 1-inch of cake in the bottom.
- Stuff each cake with a strawberry and cover with a little bit of cake.
- Spoon and spread icing over the top of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with green sanding sugar.
- Top with small mint leaves or candied leaves.