- Reserve 30 vanilla wafers.
- Coarsely crush the remaining wafers in a food processor; combine with the butter until blended.
- Firmly press the crumbs from the bottom of a 9" pie plate all the way to the outer edge of the plate.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- When completely cool, arrange banana slices in the crust.
- Vanilla Cream Filling: In a saucepan, combine the 3/4 c sugar, flour, eggs, egg yolks, and milk.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes or until it has thickened to the consistency of pudding.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour half of the vanilla cream filling over the bananas.
- Layer 20 vanilla wafers on top of the filling.
- Pour the remaining filling over the wafers.
- Meringue: Beat the egg whites on high speed with a mixer until foamy.
- Add the sugar, 1 T at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the filling and be sure to seal the edges.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Coarsely crush the remaining 10 wafers and garnish the top of the pie.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving.