unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- Boil 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water over medium heat until it reaches 245. As it cooks begin meringue so it's ready when syrup is done.
- Whip egg whites with a wire whisk in a stand up mixer on high until soft peaks form. About 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup into the meringue steadily with the mixer still on high.
- Beat the frosting for 7-10 minutes until the outside of the bowl is room temperature.
- Beat in butter by the tablespoon. The butter will deflate the frosting a bit.
- Add in desired flavorings.
- Chocolate: 1/2 cup melted and cooled chocolate and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Coconut: 1 teaspoon coconut extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Coffee: 1 teaspoon espresso powder or 3-5 tablespoons strong coffee.