fennel bulbs, cut into quarters, reserving the fennel fronds for a garnish
Tomatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
shallots, peeled and finely chopped
red pepper, trimmed and cut into chunks
dry white wine, such as colombard
lemons, 1 sliced and 1 cut into wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 250C/495F/Gas 9.
- Grease an attractive oven to table roasting dish or tray with a little of the olive oil. About 12" x 9" in size.
- Wash and pat the fillets of perch dry - set to one side.
- Place all the prepared vegetables, dill & coriander seeds into the tray/dish and pour on the remaining olive oil; mix well and season with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 30 - 45 minutes on the top shelf, until the vegetables are charred and nearly soft.
- Remove the vegetables carefully from the oven and turn the temperature down to 180C/375F/Gas 5.
- Place the fillets of perch on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the glass or cup of wine over the top of the fish & gently cover the fish fillets with some of the vegetables, so they do not dry out during cooking.
- Sprinkle the fennel seeds over the top and place 6 slices of lemon on top - to be cooked with the fish and vegetables.
- Return the fish and vegetable dish to the oven and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked and opaque white in colour.
- Sprinkle some chopped fennel fronds on top and serve with a wedge of lemon, seasonal vegetables and wild rice.