slivered whole fresh nutmeg
cantaloupe, cubes 1 inch sized
4 1/2 cups
- Combine vinegar and water in a large saucepot; tie spices into a spice bag (cheesecloth or even 2 coffee filters tied at the end works fine) and add to vinegar mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the melon; let stand for two hours.
- Add the sugar; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat; simmer until cantaloupe becomes somewhat transparent, stirring periodically to make sure all the melon gets submerged in the liquid.
- Pack hot melon into waiting hot half pint jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace then ladle hot pickling liquid over melon, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and process for ten minutes in a boiling water bath.
- Note- you can sub an equal amount of pickling spice for the spices listed. The flavor will be slightly different but still good (I'd suggest using a bit extra cinnamon though if you do that). Also, you can simply make small melon balls instead of going to the trouble of cubing it.