garlic cloves, crushed
green pepper, cubed
2 (400 g) cans
red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
chopped fresh coriander leaves
sour cream or
light soy sour cream, to serve
grated cheddar cheese or
soy cheddar cheese, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees (gas 6-7).
- Rinse the sweet potatoes, then pierce with a small sharp knife. Place them on a baking.
- tray and bake for 1-1½ hours, or until soft.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden. Add garlic and spices, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and stock, stir well, then add the vegetables and beans.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat slightly, and cook.
- for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid had reduced and thickened. Stir in the coriander leaves just before serving.
- To serve, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top. Add a dollop of light (soy) sour cream and sprinkle with grated (soy) cheddar cheese.