- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening (suggested to cut in half then add in the other half because it makes the pastry both tender and flaky)until it resembles coarse meal.
- Mix water and vinegar together,set aside.
- Add in water mixture, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add a little more water if dough seems too dry; shape dough into a ball and chill at least 1 hour, until ready to use.
- Preferred filling Our Family's Fried Pies.
- Roll out a ball of pastry about the size of a golf ball.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of fruit filling on 1/2 of pastry circle leaving about a half inch edge.
- Fold over and seal with a fork.
- ***Pies may be frozen at this point.
- Fry frozen or thawed pies in a skillet of hot oil(preferred Crisco at 375 degrees in cast iron skillet) until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Can be eaten as is (preferred)or sprinkle with powdered sugar, lightly.
- Enjoy! ;).