2 -3 tablespoons
( Batali uses 1 slice of pork fat back)
pork shoulder, cubed
salt and pepper
( just use whatever dry red wine you've got open)
fresh rosemary leaves
( I just use a small can)
( Batali uses veal stock)
lemon, juice of
hot cooked pasta, buttered with
butter, and sprinkled with
- In a Dutch Oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and add to the oil and sear on all sides, working in batches if necessary.
- Add the sliced onions and cook until they are browned and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and allow it to evaporate completely.
- Add the paprika, bay leaves, rosemary.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes over high heat, then stir in the chicken stock.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook about 1.5-2 hours, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with buttered hot pasta.