2 1/2 cups
very cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1/4 teaspoon boyajian orange oil (or extract) or 1/4 teaspoon
( or extract)
raisins, plumped and dried
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (double two sheets if you have them — one inside the other). Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, place flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and mix together. Cut or rub in butter to make a mealy mixture.
- Stir in egg and orange juice. Add orange oil or extract. Mix to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for a few minutes.
- Roll or pat out into a thickness of 1/2 inch. Using a serrated cookie cutter, cut into disks or rounds. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar and orange zest.
- Bake until nicely browned — about 14 minutes.
- *If you want a glaze, just mix up a simple one using powdered sugar, milk, and orange zest.