1 (5 lb)
leg of lamb, butterflied, trimmed
anchovy fillets, cut crosswise into 24 pieces
garlic cloves, each cut into 6 slices and halved lengthwise
extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
dry white wine
dried lavender, for cooking
black pepper, freshly ground
lemon wedge, for serving
- Using a small, sharp knife, make 24 incisions all over the lamb.
- Stuff each incision with a piece of anchovy and garlic and a pinch of the rosemary.
- In a roasting pan, combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the wine and lavender.
- Add the lamb and coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. Bring the lamb to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the lamb over a moderately low fire for about 40 minutes, or until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125 degrees for medium rare.
- Transfer the lamb to a carving board and cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing it.
- Serve with lemon wedges and additional olive oil.