thinly sliced leeks
( white and light-green parts only)
6 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth or 6 cups
low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
broccoli florets, cut to small pieces
large flake oats
orange, zest of, medium
hot red pepper flakes
shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
fresh ground pepper
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat Cook leeks for 7-8 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
- Add stock, broccoli, oats, orange zest, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in milk; continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve each bowlful with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, if desired, and freshly ground pepper.