long grain rice
finely slivered orange zest
- Wash rice in lukewarm water until water runs clear.
- Then soak in cold water to cover for at least 2 hours but up to 24 hours. Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 8 cups water to boil over medium heat. Add salt.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse and then drain again.
- To make the filling, fill a small sauce pan with cold water.
- Add orange zest and bring to a boil. Drain and then repeat.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the zest, water, sugar and turmeric and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool and then stir in nuts.
- In a large heavy saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat.
- Stir in the turmeric, the 2 tablespoons of water.
- Spread 1/3 of rice in the sauce pan.
- Scatter half of the zest filling over top, cover with half the remaining rice, then remaining filling, then mound remaining rice over top.
- Using wooden spoon handle, poke 7 deep holes in the rice.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Place a kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels over top of pan.
- Cover with lid and cook over medium heat until steam appears, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender and bottom is crisp, about 30 minutes.